måndag 28 februari 2011

Learning how to send childrens snacks when living in a foreign country

I live in Sweden.  I have now lived in Sweden for approximately 12 years, with a brief break back in the US in the early part of this century.  I even have dual Swedish and American citizenship now!  Yet, despite this, I still seem to fail at basic things such as packing a childrens lunch for a school field trip.

The normal note comes home: on such and such a day the whole school will be going to a science museum for the whole day.  Please pack a nutricious lunch and snack to send with your child.

Now, when I think nutricious I think sandwich, carrot sticks,, a small bag with half a cup of potatoe chips, a banana and one homemade oatmeal raisin cookie.  And water to drink.  Could anyone do any better??  To up the nutricious, I actually made a vegetarian sandwich on homemade wheat bread, with avacado, tomatoe, lettuce, onions, etc. etc.  (Those years in high school working at Subway really paid off practically come motherhood!)

I was thinking I must be about to win the mother-of-the-year award in Sweden.  Instead, my child came home from school in tears, and starving to death.  Why?  His teachers did not let him eat his lunch - because of the cookie!

According to said child, every other child had three items in their lunch and snack: cinnamon buns for snack, Swedish pancakes (like crepes) for lunch, and a drink of saft (like homemade Koolaid).  When I asked the teachers about this, their response was, "Well, that is nutricious." I have cooked all of the above, and there is no way they are more nutricious than the lunch I packed and one cookie.  When I pointed out that it was no nutricious, they shrugged, "Well, it's what we are used to children eating here in Sweden."

3 kommentarer:

  1. + - DC volt in water gain O & H
    what happen if we opposite the operation?

    SvaraRadera
  2. OK, so they won't let him eat ANYTHING because of one "offensive" item in the lunch???? What the what??? Please tell me that you aren't going to let this one go. :)

    SvaraRadera
  3. I did comment a bit, but since then we are learning to only send what I think would be an Atkins dieters nightmare of temptation to school for excursions!

    SvaraRadera